Introducing Bible prophecy
Bible prophecy is declaring what cannot be known by natural means. It is speaking the mind and counsel of God, and includes predicting events and the future of nations.
I am God, and there is no other... I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come... My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. (Isaiah 46:9-11 NIV)
The Bible has foretold many events with amazing accuracy, although often we only understand a prophecy after the event happens.
The Bible gives us rules for interpreting prophecy, including time scales and symbols for nations, events, religious and political systems.
If we apply these rules consistently, Bible prophecy is not as mysterious as you might think.
We can see in history, many prophecies that have already been fulfilled:
- the birth, life and death of Jesus1
- the gift of the Holy Spirit for men and women2
- the rise and fall of world empires such as Babylon, Greece and Rome3
- the return of the Jews to Palestine4
- the Arab-Israeli conflict5
Prophecy still to be fulfilled
The Bible gives us details about other prophecies still to be fulfilled, and we can determine specific things about the times in which we live and the future. We believe:
- the troubled times we live in are the 'end times'6
- Jesus is returning to the earth7
- current events signal his coming soon - although no one knows exactly when8
- people who 'died in Christ' will be resurrected when Jesus returns9
- people who are alive and walking with Jesus will be transformed when he returns9
The Book of Revelation
Blessed is the one that reads the word of this prophecy, and blessed are those that hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near (Revelation 1:3 NIV)
Many people know that Revelation is a book of prophecy, even if they don't understand its meaning. It was transcribed by the Apostle John directly from Christ. It describes world events from the time of Jesus, to his return and beyond.
Other subjects in this series:• What must I do to be saved
• Water baptism
• The Holy Spirit
• Speaking in tongues
• Bible prophecy
• The return of Jesus Christ
Read the references in your Bible
- Psalm 22, Isaiah 9:6-7, Luke 24
- Joel 2:28-29, Acts 2:14-18
- Daniel 2 and 5
- Leviticus 26:28-33, Deuteronomy 30:1-5, Daniel 12:7-12, Luke 21:24
- Genesis 16:1-6 and 10-12, 35:10-12, 2 Samuel 7:10, Zechariah 12:2-3
- Joel 2:30-31, Zechariah 12:2-3, Matthew 24:29-30, Luke 21:20-22, 2 Peter 3:10
- Matthew 24:30-31, Mark 13:26-29
- Matthew 24:23-30, Luke 21:8-28
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17
- Revelation 1:1, 22:8-11
‘Repent, and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. ’ Mark 16 v 38